When I think about my childhood, I remember quite vividly having to compete against the "brown bottle." Both my Mom and Dad were drinkers. There was always a party going on somewhere. In our small town of 800 people, it seemed as if drinking was all there was to do.
I remember times when my Mom and Dad fought. One time he had her pinned down on the coffee table and I really thought that this time, he would kill her.
Another time, my Mom threatened to commit suicide. She locked herself in the bathroom with some pills. I remember my brother and I stayed up half the night calling out her name to make sure that she stayed awake.
I used to wonder: Why do they love this brown bottle so much when it brings so much misery? Why don't they love me? Is this all my fault?
When I was 16-years-old, a family moved into our town and I started hanging out with them. When I went to their home, I noticed that no-one ever fought or argued. They treated each other with respect and they were always humming to themselves or singing out loud!
It was so strange being with people who didn't swear or drink. They had no desire to—and yet they seemed so satisfied! They were always good to me and really loved me.
One day, I went with them to Yorkton to watch a movie. At the end of it, Billy Graham appeared on the screen inviting people to come to the front of the theatre to accept Jesus. I wanted what my friends had, so I went forward.
A kind lady showed me the verse: John 3:16. She then put my name into the verse: "For God so loved Becky that He gave His only begotten Son that if Becky believes in Him, Becky will not perish but have everlasting life." This really spoke to me! I found it amazing that God would love me—I didn't think I was worth anything.
I prayed the prayer that night but my life didn't really change that much. I moved to the big city for post-secondary education, but still continued in my sinful ways. But one thing had changed—I knew God loved me.
Even when I came home from a night of drinking, I would always pray the same prayer, asking God to send me another family like the one I had met back in my hometown.
One day, I found a whole bunch of posters at my apartment building. I picked one up. It was John 3:16! I got very excited because I remembered this verse was the same one that lady in the movie theater had shown me.
I immediately phoned the name that was on the back of the poster. That was how I met the Ronald family and ended up going to church with them.
Not too long after that, I remember walking into my living room and thinking about how good my life was going again. But then this thought appeared in my mind: What about all the bad things that I had done? Right way, I fell to my knees and asked God to forgive me for every sin that I could remember. But then I really got worried because I thought—on no!—what about the sins that I can't remember? At that very moment, I realized that I was a sinner, and I called on the Lord to save me and come into my life. I can remember telling Him to take my life—I didn't want it any more. I knew that Jesus died for my sins. At that moment, everything changed! That night my friends called me to go to the bar and I said, "No thanks!" I had never done that before.
Little by little, I noticed that I wasn't interested in my old ways but that I wanted to please God—read my Bible, go to church and live right. The Spirit of God now living inside of me gave me power to live differently.
You may ask: Why didn't I get saved (become a Christian) when I prayed that prayer in the movie theatre? I wasn't willing back then to admit my guilt. I wasn't willing to go God's way. But I wanted His blessings! Thank goodness He didn't give up on me.
Jesus has become my best Friend. He will never lie to me—use me—or abuse me. He keeps all of His promises and He has saved me for all eternity. It happened fourteen years ago and it will last forever.
so loved the world
that He gave His only begotten
that whosoever believeth in Him
should not perish but have everlasting life.
Time is short. Eternity is forever. I encourage you to seek the Lord while you can.
Editor's Note: Becky Kew lives in Portage, Manitoba. She serves the Lord fulltime as a commended worker. She works extensively in the community, in schools, First Nations communities, Gospel booths etc.
Becky's address is: c/o Seedsowers, Box 775, Portage la Prairie, MB. R1N 3C2. She can be reached at
, or (204) 239-0619.
Originally published in Indian Life Newspaper, September/October 2005.
Used with permission of the author. Copyright © 2005 Christianity.ca.
Other pages in this section
- Bob Vinson - McKeesport, Pennsylvania
- Albert Ramsay
- Alex Brandt - Marion, Iowa
- Alison McCandless ~ St. Thomas, Ontario
- Allan Christopherson ~ Rapid City, South Dakota
- Andrew Bergsma - Portage La Prarie, Manatoba
- Andrew Musch - Dunkerton, IA
- Andy Feinberg ~ Chandler, Arizona
- Angela Robertson ~ Chatham, Ontario
- Ann Wielenga - Jackson, Michigan
- Anthony Elliott - Marion, Iowa
- Antonion Orsonio ~ Puerto Vallarta, Mexico
- Aric Stickfort - Parkersburg, IA
- Avrell Bowden - Manatoba, Canada
- Barb Nesbit - Dunkerton, IA
- Becky Kew - Portage, Manitoba
- Becky MacLeod - Hickory, North Carolina
- Bill Guiffredo - Brookfield, CT
- Bob MacLeod - Hickory, North Carolina
- Bob Miller ~ Clyde, Ohio
- Bonnie Sharp - Ontario, Canada
- Brian Crawford - Ontario, Canada
- Brian Elliott - Marion, Iowa
- Bryan Joyce - Toronto, Ontario, Canada
- Bryon K Meyers - Pasco, Washington
- Byrne Foreshew - Arnstein, Ontario
- Camillo DeMarco ~ Mimico, Ontario
- Carol Sinnaeve - Timmins Ontario
- Charles Spataro - Palm Springs, California
- Christine Moulaison - Yarmouth, Nova Scotia
- Christine Moulaison ~ Yarmouth, Nova Scotia
- Christopher Gerard Hilgendorf ~ Lethbridge, Alberta
- Dale Brandt ~ Garnavillo, Iowa
- Dale Robbins - Dartmouth, Nova Scotia
- Dan Shutt - Northville, MI
- David A. Jones - San Filipe, Chile
- David Derksen ~ London, Ontario
- David Netti - Mansfield OH
- David Robinson - Toronto, Ontario
- David Zuidema - Midland Park, New Jersey
- Debbie Kember ~ St. Marys, Ontario
- Debby Stickfort - Dunkerton, IA
- Denise Wisecup - Dunkerton, IA
- Dennis J. Gentz - Dunkerton, IA
- Dennis Stickfort - Dunkerton, IA
- Don Panchito - Puerto Vallarta, Mexico
- Don Williams ~ Culver City, California
- Dr. Larry Brandt ~ Parkersburg, Iowa
- Dr. Scott Yaekle ~ Detroit, Michigan
- Elaine Nordman - Dunkerton, IA
- Elizabeth Stickfort - Stout, Iowa
- Elton and Ruth Fairfield - Tokyo, Japan
- Emily McCandless - Santa Ana, El Salvador
- Eric Crowe ~ Phoenix, Arizona
- Eric Prough ~ Akron, Ohio
- Eric Walberer ~ Phoenix, Arizona
- Feona Jean ~ St. Lucia
- Fernando Medina - Silver Springs, Maryland
- Floyd Christopherson ~ Aplington, Iowa
- Fred Krauss ~ Keswick, Ontario
- Gary Sharp - Midland, Ontario
- George Menard - Niagara Falls, Ontario
- Gloria Christopherson - Marion, IA
- Grace Stickfort - Dunkerton, IA
- Grace Taufeek - Toronto, Ontario
- Grant Hagan ~ Marion, Iowa
- Harold Roeding II - Dunkerton, IA
- Heather Anderson - Ontario WI
- Heidi Flootman - DeLand, Florida
- Heidi McCandless - Burk's Falls, Ontario
- Helen Brandt ~ Marion, Iowa
- Jake Friesen - Aylmer, Ontario
- James E. Dyck - Santiago, Nayarit, Mexico
- Jamie Smid - Dunkerton, IA
- Jane Aubry ~ Phoenix, Arizona
- Janeen Sutko - Phoenix, Arizona
- Jenny Smid - Dunkerton, IA
- Jerry W. Lukensmeyer ~ Hampton, Iowa
- Jim Batterton III - Cornwall Bridge, CT
- Jim Bergsma ~ Straffordville, Ontario
- Jim Brown - Circle Pines, MN
- Jim Joyce - Leechburg, Pa
- Jim Sluiter - Marion, Iowa
- Joan Finn - Prairie du Chein, Wisconsin
- Joe Dennison Jr. ~ Livonia, Michigan
- Joel Hovey - Marion IA
- John Brokaw - Jackson, Michigan
- John Dennison ~ Hermosillo, Mexico
- John Prins ~ Sarnia, Ontario
- John Sharpe ~ Kitchener, Ontario
- Jose Gonzalez ~ Puerto Vallarta, Mexico
- Joshua Brown's Personal Story - Hatboro, PA
- Julie Kelly ~ Lakeshore, Ontario
- Karen Hoy - Vancouver, British Columbia
- Koula Joyce ~ Detroit, Michigan
- Koula Kramer ~ Hitesville, Iowa
- Larry Perkins - New Lenox, IL
- Lawrence Sinnaeve - Timmins Ontario
- Leonard DeBuhr ~ Aplington, Iowa
- Luis Alonzo ~ Puerto Vallarta, Mexico
- Lynette Harrison ~ Cumberland, Maryland
- Lynette Kremer - Saginaw, Michigan
- Lynn Birch - Windsor, Ontario
- Margaret Patterson - Oxford, Nova Scotia
- Marianne Doner ~ London, Ontario
- Marie Hitchcock - St. Marys, Ontario, Canada
- Mark Saumure - Port Colbourne, Ontario
- Mark Saumure ~ Welland, Ontario
- Marsha McMillin - Dunkerton, IA
- Marta Shutt - Alpena, Arkansas
- Martin Prins ~ Sarnia, Ontario
- Mary Ellen Clark - McKeesport, Pennsylvania
- Matt Penney - Gander, Newfoundland and Labrador
- Nancy Olson - Marion, IA
- Nola Roeding - Dunkerton, IA
- Olivia Colvin - Pennsauken, New Jersey
- Oswald MacLeod ~ Hickory, North Carolina
- Paul Vizzini - Phoenix, Arizona
- Pauline Sulava ~ Leechburg, Pennsylvania
- Peter Orasuk - Prince Edward Island, Canada
- Peter Ramsay - Prince Edward Island, Canada
- Phil Sarlo - Tampa, Florida
- Philip Nickerson -Argyle Sound, Nova Scotia
- Phillip Warren - Etobicoke, Ontario
- Priscilla Van Der Hart - Omaha, Nebraska
- Rita Dennison - Saginaw, Michigan
- Rob Bednarik - Minneapolis, Minnesota
- Rob Oliver ~ Bryn Mawr, Pennsylvania
- Rob Woodford ~ Burgessville, Ontario
- Robert Surgenor - Policeman Berea OH
- Robert Surgenor ~ Cleveland, Ohio
- Roberta Guerrero - Puerto Vallarta, Mexico
- Ron Berquist ~ Cleveland, Ohio
- Ron Mills - Gander, Newfoundland
- Rosa and Jesus - Hermosillo, Mexico
- Ruth Cairns - Cleveland, Ohio
- Sarah Kember ~ St. Marys, Ontario
- Sarah Stickfort - Cedar Falls, Iowa
- Scott Mizener - McKeesport, Pennsylvania
- Shad Sluiter - Marion, IA
- Sharon Mahedy ~ Phoenix, Arizona
- Sharon Whan - Toronto, Ontario, Canada
- Shawn St. Clair ~ Toronto, Ontario
- Shelley McKenna - Prince Edward Island, Canada
- Shelly Wahls - Tepic, Nayarit, Mexico.
- Shirley Johnson - Dunkerton, IA
- Steve McMurray ~ Clyde, Ohio
- Stu Thompson ~ Sherman, Michigan
- Suzy Fitch - Marion, Iowa
- Tomas Bentley ~ Malaysia
- Vicki Potter - Madison, WI
- Viola Carlson - Dunkerton, IA
- Walter Gustafson - Chalfont, Pennsylvania
- Wilf Payne ~ Parson
- William Lavery - Parkersburg, Iowa
- William Skates ~ Wisconsin, USA
- Yvonne Hess - Livonia, Michigan
Readers have left 3 comments.
jeff lingerfelt, Unregistered
Becky, I love your testimony. What a blessing and what a wonderful Saviour we have. Thank you for sharing and Merry Christmas to you and your family. Jeff
Karen Martin, Unregistered
You need to just strive to be perfect spiritually. " They that worship him must worship Him in Spirit and in truth." Be ye therfore perfect even as your Father in Heaven is perfect. If he dwells in your heart and you live for Him you are a perfect servant of the Lord.And Now that he is in your heart and life you no longer have to waste time looking for him to come, because he has already come to you. You are saved by his Grace. I have been Sanctified for over 40.yrs. And I have never been sorry that I trusted His name. May God continue to bless you with his love. Your sister in Christ. Karen
Tia Roulette, Unregistered
Becky, This is an interesting artical .....i feel so sorry about the article about your mother...but i really like your site :)...Bye bye...(L)OVE (Y)ou !!! :) :) :) :)